Bottom Line: Even this close to Christmas, everyone should grab a copy of this app, not just parents of kids with special needs and not just those who celebrate Christmas!
I Get It Apps latest release is a social story app designed to help children and anyone with developmental delays understand the process of Christmas. It does a wonderful job of that and could be used for much more. Designating this as a "special needs" app sells it short.
The app provides 30 icons/pages with real-picture images used to illustrate a sequence of events. Each page can be individualized for the user by adding personal photos, text, and audio.
iSee-quence…Christmas supports many users so it can be used in a school or therapy setting, as well as enabling parents to create separate story books for each of their children. Each book comes with thirty preset icons/pages and it’s simple to create your own by taking pictures or using images from your device’s photo album.
The parent or teacher can add audio, change the title and add a subtitle for each page. It’s simple to change the order of the icons or hide them if not needed for that particular child. Given how easy it is to use, I love that the parent or teacher can lock the content to prevent inadvertent deletions or changes. If creating a book to be used as a task list then once each task is completed it can be checked off. The app is highly customizable, very easy to use and good value.
Examples of how I imagine this app could be used are:
* Explaining to children what the process of Christmas is and what it means for your family.
* Explaining both the season of Christmas and the steps involved on the day itself.
* If you don’t celebrate Christmas you could use the app to create a social story about any holiday your family does observe, or it can be used as a way of helping children to understand what their friends are celebrating.
* To create a Christmas journal – let the kids choose and take pictures of the events and record audio of the experiences that are important to them.
* Planning with your children for Christmas next year.
Some features I would love to add to this app are:
* The ability to have more than one book per user. For example, a child might want to keep a book as a journal and create a new one for the following year.
* An option to have the audio play automatically while the book is read.
* Capacity to export the books created to share with family members.
These items are not so much defects in the app as it currently stands, more like wish-list items that would make it perfect. it provides more than enough value for its $1.99 cost as is and I highly recommend this app.
If you would like to download i See-quence Christmas please use the links provided. The cost is the same, but Smart Apps receives a small percentage. Thanks for your support!
This review was completed by guest reviewer Deanne Shoyer, who blogs at smallbutkindamighty.wordpress.com.