Today's Free App of the Day is, in many ways, THE free app for the iPad and iPhone. I doubt that any app will be downloaded more than this one.
iTunes U has been No. 1 on the U.S. iPad free rankings for quite a while now (it is also available for the iPhone). Basically, universities are posting their lectures and course materials through iTunes U for their students and whoever else wants to learn about that particular subject. The app contains audio, video and educational documents for seemingly countless subjects; it's all free...and it's library is growing daily.
This is a must-have app.
If you would like to download iTunes U please support smartappsforkids.com by using the links provided. Thanks for your support!
The app isn't for younger kids but it does contain material for older children, college students, post-grad students, and, really, any adult interested in learning about just about any subject.
A quick look at a few of the top course and collections being downloaded (the app contains it's own featured, top charts, and categories sections just like iTunes): iPad and iPhone App Development, Autism and Related Disorders, Basics in Culinary, Masters of Photography, and the American Revolution.
The iTunes U app gives you access to complete courses from leading universities and other schools — plus the world’s largest digital catalog of free education content — right on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Whether you’re majoring in molecular biology at a university, taking Spanish in high school, or just interested in European history, you now have a valuable tool to help you learn anytime, anywhere.
Free courses in a wide array of subjects
• Take free courses created and taught by instructors from leading universities and other schools
• See all assignments and updates from the instructor in one place, and check off assignments as you complete them
• Take notes and highlight text in iBooks and see them consolidated for easy reviewing in the iTunes U app
• Access course materials, including audio, video, books, documents & presentations, apps, and new iBooks textbooks for iPad
The world’s largest catalog of free education content
• Choose from more than 500,000 free lectures, videos, books, and other resources on thousands of subjects from Algebra to Zoology
• Browse collections from education and cultural institutions in 26 countries — including Stanford, Yale, MIT, Oxford, UC Berkeley, MoMA, the New York Public Library, and the Library of Congress
* Rather than just post a list with links we're going to find one free app each day, make sure it's worth downloading, and post the info.
Here are the rules:
1) The app has to have some substance as free. In other words, it can't be a few seconds of play and then require an in-app purchase.
2) My kids or I have to like it.
3) It can't have ads all over it.