I thought we had hit a high point this week with Educreations Interactive Whiteboard but today's free app is just as good, if not better. Feast your eyes on Rover! How this isn't the No. 1 free iPad education app every day is beyond me...
Most of you know that the iPad's native browser is not Flash or Java enabled, meaning that all those cool kids' web sites like pbskids.org or sesamestreet.org, etc, etc. don't work in Safari. But they do in Rover!
If you would like to download Rover please support smartappsforkids.com by using the links provided.
Using the different finger gestures, which - remember - had to be built to replace an entire keyboard and mouse, takes a bit to get used to, and you need a good Wi-Fi connection, but everything I tried in an hour or so of testing worked!
***Can’t access Flash on your iPad? Rover CAN! Rover is the free to download education app that streams educational Flash content to your iPad.***
Rover is an education app and the only education browser for your iPad designed for teachers and students of all ages.
Rover is targeted towards enhancing the K-12 education experience, bringing the best online learning content to your iPad- including access to content ordinarily available on the Apple tablet (e.g. Flash content).
We have partnered with major education brands to make sure you have access to leading educational content on the iPad. Rover can transform your classroom into a fun, easy to use, and exciting learning lab!
Rover is powered by the iSwifter platform (the world’s first cloud-based Flash streaming platform for mobile devices). We have specifically designed Rover based on feedback from teachers, IT directors and administrators from schools across the country.
* Content-filtering in the cloud ensures students are protected from inappropriate content
* No personal data about users is tracked or saved
* Firewall-friendly solution works with existing IT standards and systems in schools
* Easy-to-use and intuitive for teachers as well as students
Note: Rover requires a Wi-Fi connection and 3G iPads also require a wireless connection.
Thanks to educators across the nation for sending us feedback that has been incorporated into this new version of Rover.
Education has no limits, so why should your education browser!
We would love to hear from you, so please send us your feedback so that we can make Rover the best it can be for the learning community.
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/theroverapp
Follow us on Twitter: @theroverapp
Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Special thanks to smartappsforkids.com reader Jean for the tip!
Click here to see our other Free Apps of the Day!
* Rather than just post a list with links we're going to find one free app each day, make sure it's worth downloading, and post the info.
Here are the rules:
1) The app has to have some substance as free. In other words, it can't be a few seconds of play and then require an in-app purchase.
2) My kids or I have to like it.
3) It can't have ads all over it.