Today's Good Free App of the Day smashed its way to No. 1 on the free educational list in one day! (It was released yesterday.) This app presents educational videos, over 2,700 of them, for free to educators, parents and older students. Topics range from U.S. History Overview 1: Jamestown to the Civil War" to the "Economics of a Cupcake Factory."
The app won't appeal to younger kids (see Gube, which is not free, for that), but looks terrific for adults or older students wishing to brush up on or learn about a wide range of topics.
One of the reviews left for the app on iTunes says "When people have all of these lofty ideals about what the internet can do for our society, Khan Academy is one of those things they're talking about."
Khan Academy allows you to learn almost anything for free.
Our iPad app is the best way to view Khan Academy’s complete library of over 2,700 videos.
We cover a massive number of topics, including K-12 math, science topics such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and even the humanities with playlists on finance and history.
Spend an afternoon brushing up on Statistics. Discover how the Krebs cycle works. Learn about the fundamentals of Computer Science. Prepare for that upcoming SAT. Or, if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, learn how fire stick farming changed the landscape of Australia.
Included in our iPad app:
- Downloadable videos: take individual videos or entire playlists to watch offline at your own pace
- Subtitles: follow along, skip ahead, or go back by navigating through subtitles
- Track your progress: Log in with your Khan Academy user account to get credit for watching videos, and see your achievements
- Exercises coming soon!
It doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology; Khan Academy's materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.
If you would like to download Khan Academy please support smartappsforkids.com by using the links provided. Thanks for your support!
Here are the rules for the Good Free App of the Day.
1) Rather than just post a list with links of free apps (some of which may not be very good) we're going to find one free app each day, make sure it's worth downloading, and post the info.
2) The app has to have some substance as free. In other words, it can't be a few seconds of play and then require an in-app purchase.
3) My kids or I have to like it.
4) It can't have ads all over it.