** Although cartoonish, this game involves shooting zombies. If you don't want your child to play something with guns (green laser guns) or goofy-looking zombies, then don't download this app.**
Frequent readers will know of my affection for the app Plants vs. Zombies, which I reviewed on Halloween even though it's not really a kids game or educational in any way.
Today's Good Free App of the Day is an educational alternative to the extremely popular PvZ game, as it presents children with an opportunity to use their math skills to defeat the always encroaching zombie masses. In order to shoot, they've got to solve the math problems (addition, subtraction, or multiplication) attached to each "math-hating" zombie. Math vs. Zombies is free for the always ambiguous "limited time" and has zoomed up the free education app rankings.
I'm always a bit squeamish about shooting games for kids, but this one is cartoonish enough to work for me and I would let my older two (almost 8 and 10) play it.
A mob of math-hating zombies are about to invade your home. Use your arsenal of math skills to zap three different types of zombies before they break down your door. Get ready to exercise your brains!
- You must clear eight levels, in order to eradicate the zombie menace.
- In each level the zombies will spawn and advance towards you.
- Each zombie has a question displayed on his head. Type in the answer to destroy the zombie.
- You can answer the question by using the keys present on the display.
- Don't forget to press the FIRE button once you have the correct answer.
- If you want to cancel an entry use the CLEAR button.
Tips and Tricks
- Do you need more AMMO? Get the Ammo Packs by solving the Math Problems on the Ammo Pack bonus.
- Need to Restore Health after some Zombie Damage? Get your Health Pack by solving Health Bonus Problems.
- Three awesome worlds with 8 levels each.
- Support for addition, subtraction and multiplication.
- Complete OpenFeint integration. With over 15 achievements.
- Global leader boards for each level.
If you would like to download Math vs. Zombies please support smartappsforkids.com by using the links provided. Thanks for your support!
Here are the rules for the Good Free App of the Day.
1) Rather than just post a list with links of free apps (some of which may not be very good) we're going to find one free app each day, make sure it's worth downloading, and post the info.
2) The app has to have some substance as free. In other words, it can't be a few seconds of play and then require an in-app purchase.
3) My kids or I have to like it.
4) It can't have ads all over it.