I know many people don't particularly care for kids' apps with in-app purchases, but if that's a big concern, you should turn in-apps off in your settings and teach your kids that they need to be happy with the free version unless Mom or Dad decide to buy the rest. The freemium model is working very well for a lot of developers in the app store, so it's here to stay...and you'll be able to fill your device with a lot more good, free apps if you work with it.
I tell my kids to play the free version A LOT if they want to convince me that it's worth the money to buy the rest and that usually works. Sometimes an app is just so good that I buy it on my own as well.
That brings us to Today's Good Free App of the Day, Brain Quest. It has a TON of good, free content (the iTunes description says 100 questions per grade) for grade levels 1-5 but does offer in-apps, $2.99 for each grade and one overall for $9.99.
The in-apps aren't hard-sold though...most kids won't even notice them until they finish the first four levels for each grade.
** Please note ** Only the app's developer can control when an app is free or not. All apps that we post as Good Free Apps of the Day are verified to be free at the time of this post. We make no guarantees otherwise. **
With Casey, Jake, and Gizmo by their sides, kids can sail through the wisdom islands, trek through a snowy mountain pass, or launch into a space voyage—all while honing their skills in math, science, language, and history. Featuring fun and challenging curriculum-based questions, immersive graphics and soundscapes, and a trio of friendly companions, it’s the app that turns learning into a game. Since content reflects national and state curriculum standards, it’s both a great review tool and a preview of what’s coming next.
For 20 years, Brain Quest® has been beloved by kids, trusted by parents, and approved and used by teachers. It’s Fun to Be Smart!® Find out why our motto still rings true, 36 million kids later.
“Brain Quest has become an invaluable classroom aid, as necessary to my daily routine as my chalkboard.”—Josie Bahdry, Baylake Pines School, Virginia Beach, VA
“I use Brain Quest every day in my third grade classroom. I love it, but more importantly my students love it!”—Linda Eisinger, West Elementary School, Jefferson City, MO
“Our students love Brain Quest! It promotes positive peer relationships, challenges their memory, and is a great teaching and learning tool. Besides that, they have a lot of fun . . .”—Elabor Otake, Principal, Sunset Beach Christian School, Haleiwa, HI
* Try it for free. Play 100 questions in each grade on us.
* Hours of play. Unlock the app to purchase complete grades and get 600 questions and answers—that’s a lot of learning!
* Curriculum-based and teacher approved. As always, Brain Quest content is vetted by a panel of award-winning educators.
* Educational content meets the best features of game play. An immersive environment and short, playable rounds will have kids itching to complete the journey and rack up the rewards.
* Simple, intuitive swiping and finger-tapping lets kids play independently.
* Fun for the whole family. Track scores for up to 3 kids playing separately, or combine forces by trying a few rounds of pass ‘n’ play.
* Play it again and again. Each round can be played multiple times for a mix of review material and new questions.
* A challenge for super players. For extra difficulty, kids can try to collect all 84 coins in their grade level.
If you would like to download Brain Quest Storybook (FREE for the iPad/iPhone/iPod) please support Smart Apps for Kids by using this link:
Every day we pick what we call the Good Free App of the Day, an app that we have downloaded, tested and certified: It can't have a ton of ads or just a little content with a ton of in-app purchases.
It also has to be good.
We then present them to you to read, download, and share so, based on which ones got the most hits, here are your Top 40 Favorite Free Apps. (We've eliminated apps that were only free for a limited period of time.)
2) LEGO App 4+ (build a vehicle and then use it in activities)
8) Play 123
9) Rover (flash-enabled browser for kids)
11) The Lorax
14) Draw Something (Pictionary online!)
15) Hide Run Growl
16) NASA App HD
18) Khan Academy
20) MeeGenius (six ebooks for free!)
21 Scribble Press (make an ebook!)
23) Math Bingo Games
24) Monkey Drum
26) PBS Kids Video
29) Color Uncovered (please don't let your dog drive)
30) Sprout's Good Night Star (nighttime routine)
32) Little Stars - Toddler Games (letters, numbers, shapes, colors, first words)
33) I Can Write 2
36) ABC Alphabet Phonics '
37) Art Maker
38) Little Finder
39) Goodnight Safari
40) Lego Duplo Jams
41) iTunes U
45) The Lorax Truffula Shuffle (U.S. only for some reason)
46) Math Vs. Zombies
49) Jingle All The Way (Christmas app)