I read Deanne's recently-posted Top 10 Free Apps For ASD Kids like this:
Got that one.
C'mon, I've got all these!
Wait...what is Rocket Speller?
Turns out she had a TERRIFIC free app on her list that I had never tried before!
(Cue her mocking email.)
** Please note ** Only the app's developer can control when an app is free or not. All apps that we post as Good Free Apps of the Day are verified to be free at the time of this post. We make no guarantees otherwise. **
Rocket Speller is a fun and engaging spelling app for 3-7 year olds. Educators, occupational therapists, special education teachers, and parents agree that kids are engaged and learning with this app.
★★★★★ "This is by far my favorite app for the following reason: My son is a very reluctant learner. If he even suspects a task has anything to do with academics he shuts down. With this app he thinks it is a game. He does not realize that it is helping him with his spelling. The best part... He negotiates spending his free time playing "the rocket ship game" because he has worked hard all day at school. He will play this for as long as I let him." Parent
★★★★★ "My 4 year old daughter plays the app and absolutely loves it." Parent.
★★★★★ "Not only does it promote literacy and language skills but is great at fine motor and visual spatial skills." OT
Kids join Zip the alien on an out-of-this-world spelling adventure to build a fancy new rocket. With 4 levels of difficulty, kids spell words to fuel his spaceship and help him choose the rocket pieces he needs.
Correctly place letters to spell words and move through the game. Choose a rocket nose, body, and boosters. Once Zip has collected all the pieces, launch it from the launch pad and watch it soar into space!
Level 1 - Place letters in any order. Letter hints given.
Level 2 - Must place letters in order. Letter hints given.
Level 3 - Simple words. Must place letters in order. No hints.
Level 4 - Complex words. Must place letters in order. No hints.
As a special surprise (and to invoke a giggle), touch Zip on the spelling pages and see what he does!
- Learn to spell words in a way that is fun, interactive and promotes self-initiated skill progression
- Develop awareness of how letters combine to form words
- Develop awareness of left to right order
- Promote letter recognition
- Reinforce knowledge of letter names
- Enhance vocabulary
- Kid-friendly interface
- 4 levels of difficulty engage children at different stages of development
- A combination of simple and complex words to enhance vocabulary
- Words are different every time you play
- Choose upper or lower-case letters
- Hundreds of possible rocket combinations!
- Interactive alien
- High quality production standards
PRIVACY AND EXTERNAL LINKS
We believe it’s important to inform you about the app you are downloading.
- Tracks usage information using a highly-reputable service called Flurry Analytics. All data is aggregated and completely anonymous. Understanding how the app is used helps us to improve and refine. If you would like additional information, please contact us and we’ll be happy to answer your questions. You may quickly and easily opt-out from participating by visiting www.flurry.com/resources/privacy.html.
- Contains one nondescript ‘text-only’ link (i.e. touch this word) intended for parents and educators who read the text on the Info tab. The link is for rating the app in the iTunes App Store and has been retained for your convenience.
- Has NO push notifications
- Has NO in-app purchases
- Has NO ads
- Has NO social media links
If you would like to download Rocket Speller (FREE) please support Smart Apps for Kids by using this link button.
Every day we pick what we call the Good Free App of the Day, an app that we have downloaded, tested and certified: It can't have a ton of ads or just a little content with a ton of in-app purchases.
It also has to be good.
We then present them to you to read, download, and share so, based on which ones got the most hits, here are your Top 40 Favorite Free Apps. (We've eliminated apps that were only free for a limited period of time.)
2) LEGO App 4+ (build a vehicle and then use it in activities)
8) Play 123
9) Rover (flash-enabled browser for kids)
11) The Lorax
14) Draw Something (Pictionary online!)
15) Hide Run Growl
16) NASA App HD
18) Khan Academy
20) MeeGenius (six ebooks for free!)
21 Scribble Press (make an ebook!)
23) Math Bingo Games
24) Monkey Drum
26) PBS Kids Video
29) Color Uncovered (please don't let your dog drive)
30) Sprout's Good Night Star (nighttime routine)
32) Little Stars - Toddler Games (letters, numbers, shapes, colors, first words)
33) I Can Write 2
36) ABC Alphabet Phonics '
37) Art Maker
38) Little Finder
39) Goodnight Safari
40) Lego Duplo Jams
41) iTunes U
45) The Lorax Truffula Shuffle (U.S. only for some reason)
46) Math Vs. Zombies
49) Jingle All The Way (Christmas app)