Normally $4.99 (iPad only) and rated 4 Stars by SAFK - Heidi on the Alp has just been updated, is FREE today and is a great addition to every eBook Library.
If you would like to download Heidi on the Alp (FREE, iPad only) please support Smart Apps for Kids by using this link button:
Then go ahead and enter the giveaway to win one of TWENTY app packages - Heidi in Frankfurt and Heidi and Klara. You will find the rafflecopter for the giveaway below.
Description of Heidi on the Alp from iTunes:
"Heidi knew she was right, that coming to her Grandfather had meant she had come home."
Are you looking for a classic, timeless story to share with your children that is also relevant today? Do you want to buy ebooks that:
- deal with topics like the importance of home, family, friendship and loyalty?
- include strong characters, female and male, that model positive behaviours?
- engage as well as educate your kids?
- support the development of reading and comprehension skills?
Then look no further than the Heidi apps! For many of us, the name Heidi conjures memories of childhood. This story of a little girl who charms all (or at least most!) of those around her has been working its magic with children for over 130 years. When it was published in 1880, the subtitle of Johanna Spyri's book was "for children and those who love children" and that's just as true today.
Now, in addition to the lovely story, the app version of Heidi includes many elements designed specifically to enchant, engage and educate young readers.
- The beautiful and detailed illustrations by Diana Kizlauskas offer a window for modern children through which they can discover the dress, hairstyles and way of life from a bygone age.
- Every page contains sounds effects and interactive elements.
- The book's colourful characters are brought vividly to life by the voice talent of professional actors.
There are two versions of the story:
- the first version is narrated by Heidi and told from her perspective. This version of the story is designed to be enjoyed by younger children, together with their parents. Text is highlighted as read to support the development of early reading skills.
- The second version is longer and told by a narrator. This is ideally suited to older children to read by themselves, but there is a read to me option to encourage reluctant older readers.
- Both versions of the story are available in English and German and are abridged versions of the original text.
Heidi on the Alp is the first of three apps that tell Heidi's story. We are introduced to the six year-old little girl when her aunt Dete, who has taken a job in Frankfurt and cannot take her niece with her, is leaving Heidi with her stern and reclusive Grandfather. The old man is quickly won over by his delightful granddaughter who also befriends the village goatherd, Peter, and spends the summer helping him tend the goats. When winter arrives, Heidi meets Peter's mother and blind Grandmother who also learn to love the little girl in no time. An idyllic year has gone by when, unannounced, Dete returns with the intention of taking Heidi back with her to Frankfurt.
In addition to the story itself, the app includes a 'Bits and Bobs' section which contains the following:
- Facts and jokes about sheep and goats
- A spot-the-difference page
- Information about the Heidi Village and Miniature Switzerland
- Pictures and information about the alpine flowers Heidi would have seen
- A quiz you can use to test your child's comprehension of the story.
JustKidsApps is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 4-7, 8-10
Categories: Book, Classics, Reading