Bottom line: The folks at My Town Games LTD are taking us on a stylish adventure with their newest offering My Town: Fashion Show. Your little one can join some of the My Town friends for an afternoon of catwalk fun.
If you’d like to purchase My Town: Fashion Show (currently $0.99, iPad/iPhone), please use the handy little link we’ve prepared for you.
No ads, no in-app purchases, external links to developer’s other apps
My Town: Fashion Show follows some of the regulars from My Town as they prep for a fashion show. Explore all of the clothes in wardrobe, spend time in hair and makeup, and have your picture taken before heading over to the big fashion show.
My Town: Fashion Show strays a little bit from what we are accustomed to seeing with the My Town apps. Normally we have the characters to make up families, while in this app we seem to have women and girls along with a few men, but there are no boys to be found. You can move each character among each of the scenes and play with the props and accessories. Along the way you can collect hearts to work your way to a reward.
There are several new scenes for your child to appreciate:
- Wardrobe – Arguably the most important place at a fashion show, the wardrobe area is where we pick out the clothes that each person will be wearing. From casual to fancy, there seem to be clothes for almost everyone. There are also hats to try on and a sewing machine that appears to be designed to embellish the hats only.
- Makeup – Head over to makeup to get your hair washed/dried by a fancy machine. Then choose a new color lipstick to complement your outfit.
- Photography Studio – After getting all gussied up, our friends can visit the photographer to get new pictures made. There are more props and wigs there to accentuate their outfits.
- Catwalk – All of the hard work culminates in the final fashion show. With lights and music to set the mood, all of the characters can be arranged on the runway to show off their fashions.
As usual, each room has interactive elements sprinkled throughout. Characters can snack to keep from getting hungry while they wait for their turn or they can skip the photographer and take their own pictures using a selfie stick.
Watch this app in action here:
What I liked:
- I do have to commend the developers for bringing the My Town friends to a new and unique location for their antics this time.
- There is plenty of stress-free play to go around.
- I was excited when I found that I was able to put some of the men’s suits on the women, but it appears that is as far as the clothes sharing goes. I just feel like you ought to be able to put any character in any costume. Period. Also, I was really bothered that there were no boys. Where were the boys?
- I do think that this app could use a little fleshing out as far as details go. For instance, you can turn on the fan in the photographer’s studio, but it doesn’t actually blow anything. I also wish that we could have used the sewing machine on more than the hats. It would have been fun in the makeup room to actually be able to style and color the hair or to be able to change more than just the lipstick. Kudos for the fresh situation, but let’s finish up all the details and make it great.
- As with some of the other apps in the collection, we still some difficulty with hotspots (i.e. getting characters to pick up and/or hold things if we didn’t place the item in exactlythe right spot). It’s not as big of an issue on our large iPad as it is on smaller devices, but it is still noticeable.
Overall, My Town: Fashion Show is a nice addition to the My Town family. I appreciate the new territories that they are exploring and feel like this is a step forward for them. But I do feel like there are some edges that could be smoothed out, so I’m going 4 stars for now.
Kelli's kids have just three weeks left in the school year. Yikes! Smart Apps for Kids was paid a fee to review this app in a speedy fashion.