Bottom line: Mindfulness for Children is designed to help introduce children to the benefits of meditation and guide them through several different meditation situations. With a soothing voice narrating and relaxing sounds, Mindfulness for Children is intended to help kids be able to reach their own calm places and relax independently.
If you would like to purchase Mindfulness for Children ($1.99, iPad/iPhone), please use the handy link below.
No ads or in-app purchases, but there are unprotected links to social media, developer’s website, and the app store
Mindfulness for Children can help children learn about mindfulness meditation through several step-by-step meditation scenarios designed to help children focus on different aspects of their bodies and their situations to help use their surroundings to relax. These meditations come in varying lengths, from 4 minutes to 24 minutes long, which could be helpful when time is limited. Each meditation is guided by a narrator with a soothing voice, encouraging calmness. Some of the meditation scenarios incorporate calming sound effects for greater effectiveness.
Currently the app is limited to seven different meditations. Different meditations include:
- Inner Place – This meditation encourages children to focus on one thing and effectively block out other sensations.
- Connecting – Helps teach kids about how things our connected in their body from their breathing to their bodily sensations to their feelings. As the connection is made we find how we can begin to control our own bodies.
- Finding Peace – A breathing and visualization exercise to promote peace and calming. (This one was our favorite.)
- Body Scan – Designed to help kids 8 and older become more aware of their own bodily sensations and thoughts. Helpful with kids who are having difficulty with all of the many changes going on in their bodies.
- Good Night – There are four different night time meditations, each designed to help children relax their minds and bodies and prepare for sleep. Each version has different soothing sounds from nature and helps foster a more stress-free environment at bedtime.
What I liked:
- I do not have much experience with meditation myself, and I found that I was able to benefit from these exercises along with my children.
- The narrator’s voice and the sound effects really are soothing.
- I found that the text of the app had grammatical errors and some misused words. This sometimes happens when translations are made from other languages.
- I would definitely a greater level of controls with regards to external links. As it is now, I would be hesitant to let a child use it independently.
Overall, the presentation and appearance of this app are very basic. This might be intentional, but coupled with the grammatical errors it gave me a bit of an unpolished feel. I do feel like this app has a lot of potential, and it could be improved with some minor tweaks to the app itself and the addition of more meditations. 3.5 stars.
~ Kelli. Smart Apps for Kids was paid a fee to review this app in a priority manner.