Bottom line: My Town: Beauty Contest is a brand new app from our friends at My Town Games LTD, making it the sixteenth one in their virtual playworld. In this one, your little one can enjoy costuming and making up contestants to compete against each other in a beauty contest.
If you’d like to purchase My Town: Beauty Contest ($2.99, iPad/iPhone), please use the handy little link we’ve provided so they'll know how you found them.
No ads, no in-app purchases, external links to developer’s other apps
My Town: Beauty Contests lets us take a standard cast of My Town characters and fancy them up to take part in a beauty contest. This app presents itself in pretty much the same format as many of the other My Town apps. There is a street-front area that we can maneuver through to get to several of our play locations. Each location can be easily entered and explored.
My Town: Dance School fits right in with rest of the virtual play apps in the My Town collection, even if it does feel a bit repetitive of a few of the other apps. To me it was fairly close to the Fashion Show app in many ways, and I hope that the developer takes care to freshen things up some to avoid a "been there, done that" situation.
There are several areas for your child to enjoy:
- Hair salon – Potential contestants can change up their look with fancy hairstyles and funky accessories.
- Make-up salon - Your make-up should be as spectacular as possible for the big contest, don't you think?
- Clothing boutique – Users can choose between many outfits from classic to fantastic for each of their characters.
- Flower shop - Users can make unique decorations for the stage.
- Photographer's studio - Before the contest goes on, why not have a little photo shoot to build up your portfolio.
- Main stage - This is where the action happens. Users can take the elevator down below stage and find additional props to help set the stage. Contestants can all be arranged on the stage and then users can choose three finalists to place on the front platforms. These three receive judges' scores and a winner is crowned!
What I liked:
- As always, I love stress-free, free play apps that encourage children to use their imaginations.
- There were a few little details that I appreciated in this new app, one of which being the change of mood/expression for the contestants that didn't win. They might express surprise or dismay, you just never knew.
- I am afraid that I found this app to be rather redundant when considering the other My Town apps that I have in my library.
- I still have issues with not being able to put any costume on any gender. If I can't put a showgirl headdress on anyone that I want, well, I just think that's not fair.
- I had issues, again, with the placement of items and having very small "hot spots" to stick them to.
Overall, My Town: Beauty Contest functions (mostly) well and has plenty of activities to keep little ones busy. I'm afraid the lack of originality, even within their own collection, is leading me to give them 3.5 stars.
Kelli wishes all of our readers a joyous holiday season. Smart Apps for Kids was paid a fee to review this app in a priority manner.