Bottom Line: 3rd Grade Math Common Core gives young learners a handy, easy-to-use option to help with review and practice of grade level math concepts. This basic, no-frills app can help kids with comprehension of required math skills for 3rd grade. Along with the basic review and practice, this app contains several tutorial videos.
If you’d like to purchase 3rd Grade Math Common Core by Math Galaxy ($3.99), please use the handy link provided.
No ads, no in-app purchases, no external links
Having recently reviewed Math Galaxy's apps for 5th and 6th grade common core, I was pleased to be given the chance to review 3rd Grade Math Common Core and to continue building my arsenal of math apps for my kids to use. This app has the same look and feel as the previous ones that I reviewed, but the topics covered are those that would be covered in this lower grade level. The app is separated into several topics and within each of those the topics are broken down into smaller, easy-to-digest pieces. Along with the reviews and problems, there are also several tutorial videos that can help young learners to process each concept.
The basic topics covered are:
Numbers in Base 10
- Understanding and using the concept of place value.
- Rounding and estimating.
- Adding and Subtracting whole numbers.
- Multiplication Tables and single-digit multiplication
- Finding missing numbers in formulas
- Single-digit division
- Word problems
- Number patterns
- Identifying Fractions
- Fractions on a line
- Fractions as part of a group
- Equivalent Fractions
- Comparing Fractions
Measurement and Data
- Area & Perimeter
- Line Plots
- Review of shapes and their attributes
Each category gives young learners the option to review the concept and then to practice their skills with extensive available problems. Several of the topics also have review videos that are great, particularly at this lower grade level, in helping kids understand new concepts and ideas.
What I liked:
- The reviews are easy to understand, following a logical thought process.
- Lots of content
- Simple-to-use interface that a child can use without assistance.
- The video reviews are great for when a child is working independently.
What I liked less:
- My main complaint is that visually some kids might find this app a bit boring. I'm not talking about the content, just the visual appeal. I know it's a math app and that that isn't the important part, but with the younger grade levels these things can make a lot of difference.
- I did run across a couple of glitches where the links took me straight to a game rather than to the expected review, but I'm sure this developer will have those fixed in no time.
Overall, this is a comprehensive app for third grade level common core math. I’m giving it 4.5 Stars, making it another Top Pick!
Kelli wishes that Spring would have stuck around longer before letting the Summer weather sneak in. Smart Apps for Kids was paid a fee to review this app.