After reviewing an app or two per day, talking to readers about what they are looking for, and spending far, far too much time tracking kids apps over the past 14 months...here are my Top 10 apps!
I've factored in price, depth, customization options, and every thing else I could think of. How much my kids liked the app was the most significant factor for most.
The "bottom line" for each app is listed next to the title.
1) BrainPop Featured Movie - My son's favorite app. Actually BrainPop is probably his favorite thing in the world. A terrific free app that is a must-download.
2) ConversationBuilder - How do I put a rating on this?
3) TeachMe: 1st Grade - An absolute must-download. An awesomely unique, well-done and extremely deep app for just 99 cents. Buy a stylus!
4) Toontastic- Fantastic - E quickly grabbed a paper and pencil to start on a script and was yelling "action!" just a few moments later. In about 30 minutes, using it for the first time, his first cartoon was finished.
5) TeachMe: Toddler - An amazing app that covers letters, phonics, numbers, shapes, colors and counting for 99 cents.
6) Bugs and Buttons - An app masterpiece! It will change your expectations of what you can get in an app.
7) See. Touch. Learn. - If you're willing to invest the time and money, it's a complete and total game-changer for education on the iPad.
8) Banana Ninja - My kids favorite ebook!
9) TeachMe: Kindergarten - If you have a child in Pre-K/Reception or Kindergarten, buy this app. It's one of the best.
10) DialSafe Pro - A free app that could save a life.